[EM] PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:06:21 PST 2016

I now realize that FBPPAR can be expressed in this format, and it's less
confusing that it is when added to the regular PAR format. Here's FBPPAR:

   1. Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate. Default is
   "Reject" for voters who do not explicitly reject any candidates, and
   "Accept" otherwise. For any preferred candidate, voters may also check
   "stand aside". (This is rarely useful; it is only worthwhile if they think
   that the candidate might become the leader in step 3 and stand in the way
   of a stronger compromise leader.)
   2. Candidates get 1 point for every ballot that prefers them.
   3. Candidates with over 25% Prefer, and less than 50% Reject, are called
   viable. If there are any such candidates who would still be viable if all
   "prefer/stand aside" votes were counted as "reject", the one pith the most
   preferences is designated the leader.
   4. Viable candidates get 1 point for every ballot that accepts them and
   does not prefer the leader.
   5. Winner is the highest score.

If I'm not mistaken, this system passes FBC, majority, mutual majority, and
LIIA, among others. It handles the Tennessee center squeeze with a strong
Nash equilibrium on naive ballots, and does well on naive-ballot chicken
dilemma with no slippery slope.