[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 23:17:25 PST 2016

Uh-oh...

When I first proposed wv, and when I've evaluated pairwise-count methods'
properties for protection from truncation, I always looked only at
3-candidate examples.  By that, wv, MMPO, & MDDTR looked pretty good in
that regard.
wv-like strategy.

Well, they still meet SFC, and are fully resistant to truncation. That's
the good news...

But, when looked at in 2D issue-space (with Euclidean distances), and a
voter-distribution that is uniform or the same in every direction from the
all-dimensions median...MDDTR is completely vulnerable and un-defendable
from burial.

I haven't looked at 1D. I looked at 2D. Maybe, in 1D, it will turn out to
not have that problem. But if the method has a problem in one
dimensionality, I guess one would expect it in all dimensionalities.

Maybe the problem doesn't happen with city-block distance, but I guess the
likely presumption is that it does.

SFC is a very good thing, and its premises are well-met, by the assumptions
I used. But the burial vulnerability spoils MDDTR, at least in 2D.

I have no idea whether wv, which I began proposing in the late '80s, has
the same thoroughgoing vulnerability to burial. I no longer propose
wv--except that I like MAM for CIVS polls, where the burial problem isn't a
problem, because there evidently is no offensive strategy used at CIVS.

In 2D, with the voter-distribution assumptions I described, the CWs has a
preference majority over everyone, and, with sincere voting majority
pair-beats everyone.

Of course burial could make someone beat hir. The closer to the
voter-median point a candidate is, the fewer burriers are needed to make
that candidate majority-beat the CWs.

In MDDTR, if you can make someone majority-beat the CWs, then everyone is
majority-beaten, and so no one is disqualified. Then, if your candidate is
the most favorite, & your burial is successful.

...unless the candidate you're burying the CWs with isn't majority-beaten
by someone else, other than the CWs..

By the assumptions that I described, a candidate  has a "beat-region", such
that a candidate in that region of issue-space will majority-beat hir.

The closer the candidate is to the voter-median point, the smaller hir
beat-region is.

It consists of the circle that just fits between the candidate and the
median.

I guess maybe in 3-space it would be a sphere.

If you want to bury the CWs in MDDTR, just bury hir under a candidate who
has 1 or more candidates in hir beat-region.

There's no way to defend against that if your wing has a number of such
candidates and you don't know which one will be used for the burial of the
CWs.

Of course maybe you just havve 0 or 1 such candidate, and then there isn't
a problem. But, in general there is. At least in 2D.

It seems likely that wv has the same problem, because the burial deterrence
depends on a threat to keep the candidate used in the burial from being
beaten. That's easy in the 3-candidate example: Just don't rank the
buriers' candidate. It's nothing like that in 2D issue-space with
continuously-distributed voters.

There's an enouraging fact: The larger beat-regions belong to candidates
farther from the voter-median point, where it takes more buriers to make
the candidate majority-beat the CWs. But the distance only varies with the
square-root of the size of the beat-region.

But these mitigations that I've mentioned don't seem enough to justify a
pairwise-count method.

I guess Bucklin is the only rank method that can be recommended..

Michael Ossipoff