[EM] Holy grail: PAR with FBC?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Thu Nov 10 06:04:52 PST 2016

> 1. Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate. Default is Accept.

This seems to assume that all the voters are interested in all the
candidates and like checking boxes, whereas
I should think that a lot of voters would be only interested in their
favourite and content to keep voting the
way they did under plurality (and would presumably continue to do so
under Approval).

They should be allowed to continue giving the most effective vote
possible by simply giving a "Prefer" rating to their
favourite.  In-effect penalising such voters for forgetting to also give
"Rejects"  to all their non-favourites is unfair
and dumb.

It will give voters who aren't fans of the new method extra reason to
resent it.  Suppose that a strong candidate
from an established party very narrowly loses just because some of
his/her supporters forgot to give out "Rejects".
Don't you think that might fuel a movement to dump the method?

> 2.Candidates with a majority of Reject, or with under 25% Prefer, are
> eliminated, unless that would eliminate all candidates.

I don't like arbitrary thresholds.  Obviously this causes failure of
Irrelevant Ballots Independence. But also there is the problem
that the final exact number of valid ballots can be disputed and/or take
quite a while to establish.

Postal votes can take a while to come in, or may be mislaid and later
found. The validity of certain ballots can be disputed and
the subject of legal proceedings.  Some people might have initially been
denied the right to vote, but then succeed in having that
over-turned and are then allowed to vote.

It is much better if the algorithm just (more-or-less directly) compares
the candidates with each other rather than measure them against
arbitrary percentage-of-the-votes thresholds.

> 3. Tally "prefer" ratings for all non-eliminated candidates.
> 4. Find the leader in this tally, and add in "accept" ratings on
> ballots that don't prefer the leader (if they haven't already been
> tallied).
> 5. Repeat step 4 until the leader doesn't change. The winner is the
> final leader.

As Kevin pointed out and you now concede, this fails FBC.    Kevin
Venzke's post  included:

> I believe under your method, the only time a voter doesn't eventually
> upgrade his "accepts" into "prefers" is if he prefers every tally
> leader that ever comes up. I guess most of the time, accepts and
> prefers end up counting the same. But the concern would be that there
> are ballots out there that prefer all the tally leaders (including my
> compromise choice, but excluding my favorite) and accept some
> candidates worse than my compromise. In that case I could regret
> voting for my favorite because of how it affects the influence
> contributed by other voters.

It sounds to me from this that the method would also fail Mono-raise.

> I think it even meets the voted majority Condorcet criterion, in an
> election with 3 candidates and where all ballots use the full range

49: A>C>>B
03: C>A>>B
48: B>C>>A

100 ballots.  C>A 51-49,   C>B 52-48,    A>B 52-48.

C is the "majority CW", but this method eliminates C and B.

Chris Benham