[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Nov 8 20:25:20 PST 2016

On 11/9/2016 8:35 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> (You wrote) :
>
> And it isn't clear to me that "wv-like strategy" is even something we
> should take if it was free.
>
> (endquote)
>
> In Benham, Woodall, ICT, & probably many or most pairwise-count
> methods, the CWs has no protection from burial, or even from innocent,
> non-strategic truncation.
>
> With wv-like strategy, truncation from one side can't take victory
> from the CWs & give it to the truncators' candidate.
>
> ...and plumping by the CWs's voters makes it impossible for burial to
> succeed. In fact, the mere threat of that plumping can deter burial.

So to "protect"  some candidate  that some voters imagine is the sincere
CW (when perhaps there is no sincere CW or some other candidate
is the sincere CW) you want to have a "defensive truncation" strategy
available/inside/ a method with a very strong random-fill incentive?

And you should add (and stress) that it needs plumping by /all /of the
"CWs voters to make it impossible for burial to succeed", and not ,say,
merely 93% of them (with the other 7% sincerely fully ranking):

43: A
03: A>B
44: B>C  (sincere may be B or B>A)
10: C

100 ballots.  C>A 54-46,   A>B 46-44,  B>C 47-10.   Top Ratings A46 >
B44 > C10.   Approvals: C54 > A46 > B44.

Here MDDTR  (like MDDTA and WV and Margins and MMPO and Jameson's latest
"holy grail")  all elect the possibly burying voters' favourite, B.

Viewing the ballots from the top, A is the strongest candidate (and
possibly the sincere CW) and viewing the ballots from the bottom C is the
strongest candidate.  And electing B is simply a very bad (and flagrant)
failure of  Later-no-Help. And B is both pairwise beaten and positionally
dominated by A.

So I can't accept any method that in this scenario elects B.

Chris Benham