[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:39:34 PST 2016

Participation belongs to the broad general class of monotonicity criteria,
in which your ballot causes a result opposite to what it says.

You show up & cast a ballot that votes X over Y, and that changes the
winner from X to Y. That's an instance of nonmonotonicity.

Mono-Add-Raise was first named "Monotonicity", but Woodall named a more
generfal large class of monotonicity criteria.

A useful distinction among monotonicity criteria is, it seems to me:

Some monotonicity criteria say:

1. "My ballot made X lose even though it votes X over whoever else won, and
is a change in the ballot-set that should make X more likely to win. (but
it made X lose because of something else that the ballot does)."

Others say:

2. "My ballot made X lose for no other reason than because of a change that
should make X more likely to win.

Failure of a #2 monotonicity criterion seems more ridiculous, more without
an explanation or justification.

Mono-Raise is a #2, and Mono-Add-Plump is a #1. That's why I say that
Mono-Add-Plump failure isn't as bad as Mono-Raise failure.

When MDDTR makes the candidate you plump lose, s/he loses because of the
addition of a ballot, which spoils a majority, not specifically because
your ballot favors that candidate.

Mono-Raise makes the candidate you raised lose for no other reason than
because you changed your ballot in a way that should be favorable to hir.

Maybe Mono-Raise is the only #2--I don't know.

Michael Ossipoff