[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Nov 8 08:22:35 PST 2016

On 11/7/2016 6:18 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM, C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au
> <mailto:cbenham at adam.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/7/2016 6:07 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>>     ...someone could say. "You didn't just favor X. You added a
>>     ballot, thereby spoiling a majority. It has nothing to do with
>>     the fact that you voted for X. You could have plumped for any of
>>     various candidates, and the effect would have been exacsly the same."
>
>     "Someone" could /say/ that, but it wouldn't make any sense.
>

> But how so?

C: Failing mono-add-plump is as stupid as a quasi-"intelligent" device
can be, in a pure and starkly obvious way, and with the lamest possible
excuse.

The algorithm/device decides that X should win, and then receives some
more ballots that contain nothing whatsoever but the pure and simple
message:
"You are right! X should win" and responds with the bizarre malfunction
"I've changed my mind, Y should win" and offers the nonsensical excuse
"Hey those
extra ballots didn't just say that X should win. They also increased the
total number of ballots!".

> C: What (arguably) desirable properties (or criterion compliances)
> are incompatible with meeting Mono-add-Plump?
>
> Mike: FBC, CD, & wv-like strategy are evidently require failing
> Mono-Add-Plump, or having MMPO's Hitler-with-2-votes problem.
>
> With MDDTR, the price of FBC, CD & wv-like strategy is Mono-Add-Plump.

C: There are methods that meet  FBC and CD and mono-add-plump. So your
proposition boils down to saying that it's worth giving up compliance with
mono-add-plump just to gain "wv-like strategy".

That argument is impossible to make. And it isn't clear to me that
"wv-like strategy" is even something we should take if it was free.

Chris Benham