[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 11:37:54 PST 2016

Ok, thanks, Chris, for settling that matter. I guess we have to reluctantly
give up Conditional Bucklin.

But it would have been strategically great!

Now, here's a question on a related topic:

Say I arrive at the polling-place late. Before I arrive X is winning. I
show up & plump for X, and that causes X to lose.

...is that worse than if I raise X in my ranking, and that causes X to
lose?

If so, why?

It seems to me that the latter is worse than the former.

I if show up late and plump for X, I'm doing two things: I'm adding a
ballot, and I'm voting that ballot in a way that clearly should favor X.

If i angrily complain, "Hey, how come, when I arrived and plumped for X,
that made X lose??!"

...someone could say. "You didn't just favor X. You added a ballot, thereby
spoiling a majority. It has nothing to do with the fact that you voted for
X. You could have plumped for any of various candidates, and the effect
would have been exacsly the same."

But you can't say anything like to to explain why X lost when I raised hir
in my ranking. In that instance, making the ballot-set more favorable to X
is the _only_ thing that I'm doing.

So plainly violating Mono-Raise is worse than violating Mono-Add-Plump.

Michael Ossipoff