[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Nov 5 15:56:39 PDT 2016

> Because it's so brief, let me state the conditional(u) option, for
> Approval, and for Bucklin:
>
> Approval:
>
> If a ballot conditionally approves a candidate, then it gives an approval
> to that candidate only if that vote-receiving candidate has more
> unconditional approvals than does any candidate unconditionally approved by
> that ballot.

I don't see the purpose of the qualifier "vote-receiving;" It seems to me
that if a candidate has more (unconditional) approvals than some other
candidate, then it is ipso facto "vote-receiving."

It could also be called TopMiddleBottom.

Voters mark candidates Top, Middle, or Bottom., with default Bottom.

In the first round count, ballots contribute support only to their Top
rated candidates. Then if (on some ballot) a Middle rated candidate has a
better chance of winning (according to the first round totals) than any
candidate that is Top rated by that ballot, then that ballot promotes that
candidate to Top status for the purposes of the final count.

In other words, the Middle mark is a fall-back or conditional approval mark.