[EM] XA's continuity property

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Thu Nov 3 21:35:01 PDT 2016

Yes, using the graphical framework where XA is (the x-coordinate of) the
intersection of the diagonal and the distribution function, the median is
(the x-coordinate of) the intersection of y=50 and the distribution
function.  (Any other order statistic would be a horizontal line at a
different height.)

One voter changing their vote (or adding one voter or removing one voter)
moves the distribution function up or down slightly.  It's easy to see how
this can cause a large change in the intersection with a horizontal line.
But with a diagonal line, the intersection can move left or right no more
than the distance the distribution function was perturbed vertically.

~ Andy