[EM] I'm liking PAR

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:26:55 PDT 2016

Still trying to find a PAR-like system which meets FBC. It's not hard to
find a way to eliminate B or C in the scenario I gave earlier (where A is
the center-squeeze CW, and yet B and C both avoid elimination in PAR). But
such "solutions" involve IRV-like and/or Condorcet-like dynamics, and that
means that turkey-raising becomes an issue, so FBC breaks, even though the
scenarios that break it can essentially be made arbitrarily implausible.

So, what's the simplest possible way to fix the given scenario, without
actually fully rescuing FBC? Allow candidate B to voluntarily
self-eliminate before step 3, if there are more than two non-eliminated
candidates after step 2. At that point, all the relevant tallies in the
case where they don't self-eliminate should be public.

This rule could in theory lead to a chicken dilemma between candidates, but
that's very unlikely. In general, either the threat candidate C will be
eliminated, or only one of A or B will be able to beat C. In order for the
chicken dilemma to happen, there'd have to be just the right amount of C
non-rejection from both A and B camps; enough to combine to keep C alive,
but not enough from either side to make the opposite camp not beat C.

Grrrr.... the boundary zone between FBC, chicken dilemma, and
Condorcet/center squeeze is very, very annoying. From pushing as hard as I
have, I suspect there would be an impossibility theorem here, if you
defined my "chicken dilemma non-slippery-slopeness" rigorously enough.

I think that it's possible to make a method which navigates this minefield
in practice. But it's not possible to make one which provably does.

So, between PAR, and PAR-with-voluntary-withdrawals, which do people like
better? Neither meets FBC in theory, though both are close in practice.
PARWVW is closer, but PAR is simpler.