[EM] XA

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:50:44 PDT 2016

XA beats MJ at its own game.

Your answers have clarified XA for me, & made it straightforward.

At first it looked like a difficult mathematical or logical puzzle.

But it needn't, & I thank you for clarifying that.

XA needs a name that explicitly tells what it's about.

How about:

"Approve To Desired Total" (ATDT)?

That tells it, right in the name.

I agree with Rob: ATDT wasn't designed & introduced for single-winner
elections, & isn't to be recommended for them.

Forest--

You spoke of ATDT for chicken dilemma, & mentioned a Nash equilibrium.

But Approval has that Nash equilibrium too. The numbers are different, but
if seems qualitatively the same.

In ATDT, when the A voters give B a 33, they ensure that B can't win. When
the B voters give A 50, they ensure that A outpolls C.

...as in Approval, when the A voters say, "You know we're bigger. We aren't
approving B, because you should approve us, the bigger faction.". ...& the
B voters approve A.

Your suggested chicken dilemma solution for Approval is much better than
what ATDT offers, when it might not be obvious which faction is bigger:

Sincere preferrences:

35: A>B>>C
25: B>A>>C
40: C>>A=B

The A voters say:

"The best available estimate is that C has 40%. Suppose we're nearly equal:
You have 31%, & we have 29%.

" If we give you 10%, you beat C & win.

That means, our 29% each give B (10/29) of a vote.

You should do the same, each of you giving A 10/29 of a vote.

Then you give A (10/29)X31 = 10.69% in total.

10.69 + 29 =  39.69, less than your 41%. You win.

We all should share that 10/29 of a vote, in case our own candidate isn't
the larger one, & can't win with the 10% help.

Michael Ossipoff