[EM] how come i hadn't heard about "Meek STV" before on this list?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Tue Mar 15 12:10:18 PDT 2016

Hello Robert,

The reply from Kristofer seems a fair description of Meek STV. That is
so far as I understand the usual technical language used on this list.
The thing about Meek method is that it seems to offer only a marginal
improvement in fairness on traditional STV, at a great cost in extra
complexity. It has to be computer-counted, after all.
But this is deceptive. Meek method introduces a new and key concept: the
re-adjustable keep value.

As I have explained before, on this list, this idea made possible my
system of Binomial STV, which extends keep values to candidates in
deficit, as well as in surplus of a quota. When every candidate has a
quantified keep value irrespective of being elected or not, in a given
count, that means a candidate only needs to have a keep value that is
elective, as an average of more than one count.
The bi- in Binomial STV means there are two basic kinds of count: the
usual election count of preference votes, and a new rational exclusion
count of voters preferences in reverse order. Exclusion keep values are
inverted to make them comparable and averagable with election keep values.

This proper exclusion count, in its own right, does away with the
problem of premature exclusion of candidates, and sets the system apart
from all the worlds present electoral systems, which rely on arbitrary
exclusions of candidates or parties.
This theoretical improvement has its most dramatic impact on single
vacancy elections, where premature exclusion of candidates is at its
grossest.

The simplest (first order) Binomial STV procedure consists of averaging
one election count with one exclusion count.

In order for the exclusion count not to be given undue importance,
compared to the election count, (abstentions-inclusive keep-value
averaged) Binomial STV counts all preferences, including abstentions,
which if they reach a quota, leave a seat unfilled.
Kristofer recently supplied an artificially simple STV election for me
to show how the system would work. And I have previously posted the link:
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com/Binomial_STV.html

I would like to persuade some organisation to do preliminary trials on
Binomial STV.
It would need to be coded, from where the Meek STV computer program
leaves off. Unlike Meek method, there would be no successive reduction
of the Droop quota, as the preferences run out with each round. This
obviously follows from the fact that Binomial STV counts all
preferences, including abstentions, maximising (preference) information,
a basic goal of scientific progress.

from
Richard Lung.

On 15/03/2016 01:39, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> maybe it was because i wasn't paying attention, but i hadn't even
> heard of this until looking into elections for moderators at Stack
> Exchange.
>
> also, are Jeff O'Neill and/or Chuck Sipos of OpaVote.com on this EM
> mailing list?  would you be willing to discuss here the ideas your
> website promotes regarding the "Best way to elect..."?
>
> http://blog.opavote.com/2015/11/electing-single-person.html
>
> http://blog.opavote.com/2016/02/best-methods-for-electing-group-of.html
>
> also, what to others on this list think of Meek STV?  i would love to
> hear pros and cons?
>
> and can we discuss Condorcet methods for multi-winner elections?
>

> --
>

> r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com

> ----

Richard Lung.

E-books (mostly available free or reader-sets-price)
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com/colverse.html
Includes the series of books on:
Democracy Science (starting with electoral reform and research);
Commentaries (literature and liberty; science and democracy);
Collected verse (in five books).