[EM] Panelists for KC, MO, ca. Aug 17-21?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Thu Jun 9 14:02:56 PDT 2016

To Jameson Quinn,

The best available answer to problem of bloc voting is proportional
representation of mostprefered individual literary choices by the single
transferable vote. Make it easy on yourself by downloading the Meek
method STV computer count. I think it's freely available from the
Electoral Reform Society. If not they could tell you where. (The New
Zealand Electoral Commission use this method for some official elections.)

Meek STV will proportionally represent the greatest preferences of any
camp or anti-camp, whether SJWs or Rabid Puppies or neither.

I suggest nominations for each category as an STV five member
constituency, electing the first five preferences in each category.
Voters allowed as many prefernces as they like.

A second-round could elect a winner and runner-up to an STV two member
constituency.

The problem with IRV, as an exclusion count, was summed up by Winston
Churchill: the worst votes for the worst candidates.

By the way, I solved this problem with my innovation of Binomial STV,
which uses a rational exclusion count, avoiding premature exclusion, as
well as a rational election count. It would be useful in polarised
elections, like the Hugos, because it enables voters to exclude
candidates or options, they least like, as well as elect those they most
like.

From

Richard Lung.

On 09/06/2016 17:17, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> I will be attending MidAmeriCon II, the World Science Fiction
> Society's "Worldcon" in Kansas City, Missouri, from August 17-21, in
> order to help explain various proposals that have been put forward to
> fix the nomination system for the Hugo awards to deal with the "rabid
> puppy" situation (a group of strategic voters who have gained
> disproportionate representation among the finalists for the last two
> years; google it for more info). I have been offered time for a panel
> discussion on the future of democracy, elections, and voting. Does
> anybody on these lists know anyone besides me who would be good for
> such a panel? Anybody who's interested in these issues, whether it's
> voting rights, abstract election systems, voting technology,
> moderation or reputation systems in social networks, or anything
> related, would be great. A certain amount of disagreement makes for a
> more interesting panel, so I'm not looking for conformity and I'd love
> people with less of a focus on abstract voting theory. Any suggestions
> welcome; I'd be happy to do the follow-up myself.
>

> ----

Richard Lung.

E-books (mostly available free or reader-sets-price)
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com/colverse.html
Includes the series of books on:
Democracy Science (starting with electoral reform and research);
Commentaries (literature and liberty; science and democracy);
Collected verse (in five books).