[EM] Post for Kristofer Munsterhjelm

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 05:16:37 PST 2016

Good Morning, Kristofer

On January 16th, you wrote to Juho:

   "It's hard enough to think of how to effectively do basic
    electoral reform, but I have no idea how one would go about,
    say, replacing a representative democracy with one where the
    assembly is elected by lot, or one where the assembly is
    chosen recursively, e.g. in the manner Fred Gohlke advocates.

    (Come to think of it, the latter may be easier to do than the
    former: set up neighborhood level organizations and then
    organize them in turn.  But it'd take a pretty good
    organizational talent - and a lot of work - to pull it off.)"

Actually, my thought for representative democracy was that the local
government would assign the community's voters to triads, record their
choices and assign those chosen to new triads in a pyramidal fashion.

That would be a pretty simple and straightforward operation.  That's why
I am interested in the events in Frome, UK.  They've shown an
inclination to avoid party politics, and the report suggests other towns
are considering similar actions.

Lest you fear special interests will be overlooked, I'd like to mention
that the suggestion includes a means for partisan interests to select
their best advocates to ensure the consideration of diverse special
interests.  I plan to post the full description.  Perhaps it will
attract a thoughtful critique.

Fred Gohlke