[EM] (26) APR: Steve's 26th dialogue with Richard Fobes

VoteFair ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Feb 17 23:48:29 PST 2016

Steve, your latest responses -- below, regarding both vulnerability in
your APR method and misunderstandings about VoteFair ranking -- reveal
that I have not yet been clear enough.  This time I'll try using a
metaphor that is similar to a metaphor that you use in one of your
documents.

Imagine that your APR method is being used to elect a legislature that
consists of 100 elected representatives.  Imagine that there are 300
candidates.  And imagine that there are just 1000 voters.

Most importantly, imagine that all the voters and candidates and a few
referees and sign-holders are in a huge stadium together at the same
time.  (Indoor or outdoor stadium, your choice.)

For simplicity, let's imagine that the roles of voter, candidate,
referee, and sign-holder do not overlap.  (The candidates cannot vote,
etc.)  And we can ignore the distinction between an APR primary election
and an APR general election because everything is being done within a
single day, at a fast pace.

Let's assume that all the participants have smartphones and they are
running a special app that gives them instructions, and supplies
reference materials.

Your APR method refers to political parties as "associations," but here
I'm going to use the familiar name "political party" because the word
"association" also has some other meanings that will make later
sentences ambiguous for anyone other than you/Steve, and because the
concepts I'm trying to explain also apply to voting methods that do not
use the special term "association."  In this scenario just imagine that
a "political party" or "association" is simply a category with a name.

Let's skip over the preliminary steps that the APR method uses to
determine which political parties (associations) are entitled to be
considered.

So now, imagine we are at the point where there are lots of sign-holders
who are holding up signs, and each sign has the name of a political
party, and there are as many of these signs (and sign-holders) as
needed, according to the popularity of each party.

At this point the voters are asked to line up behind a sign-holder who
is holding a sign with the name of their favorite political party.  And
voters are told not to join a line if there are already 10 voters in
that line, and instead line up behind a different sign-holder who is
holding up the name of the same political party.  In other words, the
voters are being asked to physically group themselves together -- in
groups of 10 -- to express their preference for their favorite political
party.  Keep in mind that popular political parties will have multiple
lines of voters (and therefore multiple signs with that party's name).

As the next step, the sign-holders are told to move their lines so that
voters with the same political-party preference are alongside one another.

At this point the referees bring out 100 chairs.  They place one chair
at the head of each line that contains 10 voters.

At this point there are a few chairs that are not yet associated with
any particular political party.  So, the referees (and the app, for
those who read) request that the people in a line with fewer than 5
voters must move to a different line, presumably choosing their
second-favorite political party.  (OK, maybe APR does not work quite
this simplistically, but we want to skip ahead and get to the important
parts.)  Some additional instructions from the referees (and the app)
would be based on calculations, which in turn would be based on
information that the referees supply to the app.

Now we have 100 lines of voters, each line has 10 voters, a sign-holder
at the front of each line holds a sign that indicates which political
party these voters prefer, and there is an empty chair in front of the
sign holder.

At this point in your APR method/process, you can correctly claim that
your method is fully proportional according to political-party
(associational) preferences.

However, this proportionality is abandoned in a later step in the APR
process, which means that this proportionality is not characteristic of
the final result.

The next step in your APR process identifies which of the 300 candidates
win those 100 seats.  I'm not concerned about any unfairness that might
occur in this step because that unfairness would be small compared to
the unfairnesses I'm trying to point out.  The important point here is
that during this process we can imagine that the referees set up
(symbolic) fences between different associations so that voters cannot
-- during this step -- cross over into a different political party.  As
I recall, this part of the APR process involves a method that is similar
to instant-runoff voting (IRV) and/or the single transferable vote
(STV).  Regardless of the details, at the end of this step there is now
one candidate in each chair, and that candidate has been chosen from
among the candidates that are within the designated political party.

Now we have arrived at the step in your APR method that introduces lots
of unfairness.

The fences between political parties are now removed, and now the voters
are asked to stand behind the elected representative who they like as
their favorite.

During this shuffling let's imagine that the elected representatives are
shouting influential -- yet actually meaningless and distracting --
things like "Make this state great again!" and "I support working-class
families!" and "I will protect the rights of gun owners!"  What is
missing are specifics about what kinds of economic changes they favor,
even though economic issues are the most important issues for most voters.

At this point the lines are no longer of equal length.  Let's imagine,
for example, that there are 100 voters standing behind one male
representative, and only 3 voters standing behind another female
representative.  (Gender is only mentioned because of the upcoming "he"
and "she" references.)

Steve, you are probably thinking that yes, this is a fair outcome.

But there are some more steps that I think you are neglecting to
consider.  So let's consider them.

At this stage in the overall political process a referee rolls out a
symbolic stack of proposed laws that will be voted on by the 100 elected
representatives.  Each representative will have the amount of influence
that is indicated by the number of voters standing behind him or her.

Following our previous convention of imagining that this legislative
body is the California legislature ("assembly"), imagine that the first
proposed law is a proposal to build a wall between California and Mexico
for the purpose of stopping the flow of illegal immigrants into California.

Now imagine that the representative who has 100 voters standing behind
him says "I'm in favor of passing this law."  At this point a referee
escorts his 100 voters to a fenced-off area that has a big sign saying
"YES/APPROVE".

At this point one of those 100 voters yells "No! I don't agree with this
law!"  A referee tells that person to shut up, and that if they don't
keep quiet, their place will be taken by a hired "stand-in voter".  (Who
is presumably not an illegal immigrant, but probably is underemployed
and underpaid.)

Let's say that the female representative who has 3 voters standing
behind her chooses to vote against this proposal, so she keeps her
voters standing behind her.  At this point one of those voters says
"This is why we chose this smart gal."

When all the representatives who favor the proposed law have sent their
supporters to the fenced "approval" area, those voters are counted.
Let's say the count is 520.  That's a majority (remember there are a
total of 1000 voters being moved or not moved), so the proposed law
passes, and becomes a new California law.

At this point let's suppose that a referee announces "We're going to
take a five-minute bathroom break, and then resume with considering the
next proposed law, which is to increase the minimum wage.

At this point imagine that a lobbyist walks up to the representative who
has 100 voters in his line.  The lobbyist says "I represent the business
owners who funded your election campaign, and we oppose the increase in
minimum wage because that change would undermine economic prosperity."
When the voters are back in line after the break, the representative
says to his voters "As I promised, I'm in favor of economic prosperity,
so I'm going to oppose this proposed law that increases the minimum
wage."  At this point someone in the line says "Wait! I'm earning just
the minimum wage, but it's not enough to cover food and housing and
insurance premiums and taxes."  That representative, being diplomatic,
says "I hear what you are saying."  But then as the voting is conducted,
that representative keeps his voters standing behind him instead of
sending them to the "approval" fenced area for counting.

Not that it matters for the sake of this scenario, but let's say that
this proposed law does not pass because there are 490 voters (less than
half) standing in the fenced "approval" area.

And let's imagine one more proposed law.  It would remove government
support from being used to make contraception more easily available to
low-income citizens.  At this point the representative who has 3 voters
behind her says to those voters "I'm a member of the Catholic religion,
so I'm in favor of this proposed law, because we need to remove
government funding from paying for contraception."  At this point one of
the 3 voters says "But surely as a woman you understand the importance
of contraception," and the representative replies with "Yes but ...",
and then she sends her 3 voters to the fenced "approval" area, even
though two of those voters disagree with "their" representative's choice
in this matter.

Steve, now are you beginning to better understand the concepts that I
have repeatedly tried to convey?  Here they are again, with references
to this metaphor.

* Elected representatives are multidimensional in terms of their
positions on various issues.  This means it is not possible to choose
one person who fully represents the voter's positions on more than a
couple of the voter's most important issues.  The symptom of this
unfairness occurs when a voter says to his/her chosen representative "I
do not agree with your legislative vote on this issue."

* Proposed laws are multidimensional, which means they cover many
different issue positions.  This means that each candidate cannot match
their vote to even one of the voters they represent, not to mention that
the representative cannot match their votes to all of the voters they
represent.  Expressed another way, it is impossible to choose a
representative with whom a voter agrees on all issues.  The symptom of
this unfairness occurs when different voters, for different proposed
laws, say to their chosen representative "I don't agree with your vote
for [or against] this proposed law."  (I did not give examples of this
in the brief explanation above.)

* Voters typically choose which candidate they like best according to
personality factors -- such as preferring someone who is bold,
articulate (well-spoken), boastful, seemingly self-assured, seemingly
self-confident, seemingly well-informed, seemingly intelligent, etc.  In
contrast, a voter chooses their favorite political party according to
lots of information from family and friends about which political party
shares that voter's positions about political issues.  The symptom of
this unfairness is that a voter is very careful in their choice of which
political-party sign they stand behind, and much more easily persuaded
to stand behind a one of the elected politicians, without much concern
about which political party that "better" representative claims to be
associated with.  (Remember that some politicians switch political
parties, sometimes even in the middle of a legislative session.)

* The owners of highly profitable businesses will use their personal
money to fund the election campaigns of candidates who have demonstrated
a willingness to go along with their special-interest positions, and
this takes advantage of voters being enticed to like a politician even
though that politician does not share the voter's political views on
issues.  In the metaphor this corresponds to paid consultants having
told the elected representatives what they should shout during the time
when voters are choosing which elected candidate that voter will finally
stand behind -- for the "weighted" part of the APR method.

Because of the above reasons, only a small minority of voters would be
able to identify a candidate who "fully represents" them.  The remaining
voters would not be "fully represented" by any of the elected
representatives.

To further clarify what I'm saying, if you were to modify the APR method
to limit voters to only being able to give their "weighted" vote to a
representative who is in the same political party as their favorite
political party, then the final step would not be as vulnerable to the
unfairness I'm pointing out.  I'm not saying that you should or
shouldn't limit which political party from which they can choose "their"
representative, rather I'm pointing out that leaving up the fences
before the final shuffling ("weighting") process would reduce the
unfairness of voters getting dramatically swayed in ways that involve money.

So, one way in which money can be used to affect APR results is to own
media sources -- TV stations, newspapers, heavily staffed websites, etc.
-- and use them to promote celebrity candidates, and to disparage ("put
down") "enemy" candidates.

To more dramatically imagine this influence as part of the above
metaphor, imagine that during the "weighted-vote" shuffling there are
clowns and good-looking dancers who perform near the "celebrity"
representatives and wave voters over to join that representative's line.

There is yet another way in which money can be used to affect results
using your APR method.  Citizens who normally do not bother voting can
be "hired" to vote for a celebrity candidate.  To add this process to
the metaphor, imagine that a few people stand outside the stadium and
invite otherwise-non-voting citizens to put on a yellow-and-black
bandana and come into the stadium and stand in the line of a
media-promoted celebrity candidate who is wearing a yellow-and-black
bandana, and after they are in that line those voters are quietly paid
$1000 by yet someone else who is part of the scheme.  In real life this
would be done in a black-market way.  It's feasible to do in low-income
districts because district-specific results (how many voters chose the
media-promoted celebrity representative) will become available after the
election.

If this approach were used in the metaphor to "hire" 100 extra voters
who normally do not vote, that would be a 10% increase compared to the
original 1000 voters.  The people behind the money would not care how
these extra voters mark their primary ballot.  At the final stage,
imagine that all of the 100 "hired" voters "choose" to stand in the line
of the representative who already has 100 voters behind him.  That
representative's weighted vote doubles to 200 voters, which means that
he sends 200 voters (instead of 100) to the fenced "yes, approve" area
each time that representative likes a proposed law.  This tactic has
lots of influence on what laws are passed and not passed.

Of course any voting method can have its outcome slightly changed by
"hiring" non-voters.  However, the APR method is especially vulnerable
because it dramatically shifts election results during the last step of
this process (when weighted votes are considered).  This "hiring" of
otherwise-non-voting citizens is much less effective in existing voting
methods.  It is even less effective in VoteFair ranking, where it would
be difficult to measure, and therefore difficult to reward.

Unfortunately there are many election-method reform advocates who are
not on this forum who promote "weighted-vote" kinds of last-step
adjustments.  (As I recall, "liquid democracy" is one such method.)  But
anyone who fully understands voting (and the mathematics behind voting)
recognizes the huge unfairness of such a method.

BTW, the surprising popularity of allowing voters to shift a "weighted
vote" to any elected representative accounts for why I'm taking the time
to respond to your requests for feedback about your APR method.

In summary, the biggest weakness of the APR method occurs at the last
step in which each voter can give his or her "weighted" support to any
one of the elected representatives, even if that representative is not
in the voter's favorite political party.

A key part of the reason for this weakness is that a voter can easily
get lots of information about political parties ("associations"), but
voters never(!) get sufficient information about what a candidate will
or won't do after getting elected.

As a result, voters are capable of making reasonably wise decisions
about choosing a political party, but voters find it challenging to
anticipate what a candidate will do after the election, so most voters
are easily influenced by personalities rather than positions (and
because the positions are unknown).

The candidates who do well in elections are the ones who talk in ways
that are boastful, act in ways that appear to be decisive, hide their
fears, avoid being specific about how they believe a problem can be
solved (if they have any even if they have preconceived solutions in
mind), etc.

The result is that crazy-talking megalomaniacs -- such as two of the
Republican presidential candidates in the current US election -- attract
lots of support in spite of being clueless about how to solve the huge
problems they will face if they are elected.

Because of the multiple reasons explained above, only a small minority
of voters would be able to identify a candidate who "fully represents"
them.  The remaining voters would not be "fully represented" by any of
the elected representatives.

Now I'm going to attempt to clear up a misunderstanding you seem to have
about VoteFair ranking.  Let's use the in-person stadium metaphor for
this purpose.

Suppose VoteFair ranking were used to elect 100 representatives using
the in-person stadium approach.  Instead of each voter being represented
by one vote that cannot be divided, imagine that each voter is given a
stack of 100 tokens, analogous to "chips" in a poker game.

During the VoteFair election process, some voters might not get any
representation through the first representative elected from the voter's
district, so these voters still have all 100 tokens remaining when the
second representative from their district is chosen.  Usually these
voters will use some of their tokens to have an influence on choosing
this second representative (even if the winner is not from the voter's
favorite political party), and these voters will still have some tokens
remaining for use in determining which candidates win the "statewide" seats.

In the case of a very mainstream voter who prefers the most popular
political party, almost all of his or her tokens would be used toward
electing the first representative.  The few remaining tokens would be
used to influence the choice of the second representative.  This
mainstream voter can be thought of as not having any remaining tokens
that can be used to influence the choice of any statewide
representatives.  This makes sense because they are almost fully
represented by most of that voter's tokens in the hands of the first
representative (say 85 tokens), and slightly represented by the
remaining tokens in the hands of the second representative (say 15 tokens).

In this VoteFair ranking version, during the process of voting on
proposed laws, imagine that each elected representative holds -- perhaps
in a clear plastic box -- all the tokens that contributed to electing
him or her.  Every elected representative would have the same number of
tokens in hisher box, so the counting of the "yes, approve" support
would be done simply by counting the raised hands of the representatives
who raise their hand to support a proposed law.

This equality among representatives would facilitate more open
discussion -- compared to the APR scenario in which a few celebrity
representatives could secretly collaborate in closed-door meetings.

Please don't ask questions about exactly how the tokens are allocated
(and where the "other" unaccounted-for tokens go) in the VoteFair
ranking version of this metaphor because the exact VoteFair calculations
are more involved than this metaphor can suggest.

If the tokens had printed on them the name of the voter who supplied
each token, then each elected representative would be able to identify
which voters that representative represents.

Additionally, if the public were allowed to inspect the tokens in each
box, then each voter would be able to identify how much support they
gave to each of the elected representatives.

Notice that if VoteFair ranking were used, the people who spend the most
money funding election campaigns would have to distribute their money
among candidates in all the different districts.  (The winners of the
statewide seats come from those same candidates.)

By contrast, with your APR method, that campaign funding could be
concentrated primarily on "celebrity" politicians, without much money
needing to be spent on the representatives who represent a relatively
small number of voters.

The goal for both VoteFair ranking and the APR method is to reduce the
current system in which "puppet" politicians self-confidently boast to
voters that they will solve the political problems that voters want them
to solve, yet actually do their legislative voting as a puppet who does
what their biggest campaign contributors tell them to do.

Steve, now I'll answer one of your specific questions.

You asked me for a definition of a "nut."  In my opinion, a voter who is
a nut has to be defined through counting and mathematics.  By contrast,
a carefully worded definition would not be meaningful.

If you want a mathematical definition of a nut, then the best I can do
is point to VoteFair ranking.  When all the different components of
VoteFair ranking are used together, the only voters who are
unrepresented are the ones who have preferences that are not shared by
hardly any other voters.  Many, although not all, the voters in this
category are likely to be nuts, at least from the perspective of
calculating election results.

In other words, VoteFair ranking does not attempt to get "nuts" fully
represented.  Specifically, a voter who is a "nut" would end up holding
some of their tokens, after having given only a few of their tokens to
help elect their district's first representative, and a few more tokens
to help elect their district's second representative, and possibly a
couple more tokens to help determine which candidates win one or two
statewide seats.

As a clarification, a voter who is a "nut" might get full representation
(except for "round-off errors") in terms of helping to determine how
many seats are won by each political party, provided their favorite
party is popular enough to win at least one seat.

One of the reasons I do not claim that VoteFair ranking "fully
represents every voter" is that "nuts" do not need to be represented in
order for election results to be fair.

Remember that the voting process currently used in nearly every
legislature ignores(!) preferences of (up to) 49% of the elected
representatives, so a failure for a nut to be represented anywhere
within that 49% is not an unfairness worth worrying about.

In contrast, the APR method allows voters who are "nuts" to give extra
"weighted" influence to an elected representative who is, compared to
the other legislators, a "nut."  Is that a desirable voting-system
characteristic?  I don't think so.

I appreciate your patience in waiting for my replies.  I'm about to get
busier, so there is no need to rush to write your next response.  Please
read and re-read and ponder what I have taken the time to write.  Then,
as always, ask questions.

Richard Fobes
Author of "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections"