[EM] The Global Fight For Electoral Justice: A Primer

Erik Moeller via Election-Methods election-methods at lists.electorama.com
Fri Dec 30 03:09:54 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Michael Ossipoff
<email9648742 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe IRvists' desire to enact IRV could be a motivation for them to demand verifiable vote-counting.
> So far as I'm aware, nothing less than public ballot-imaging will do.

Are you aware of any country using this approach? One challenge with
any public dataset like this is whether it can be de-anonymized by
correlating it with other data, such as camera footage of lines at the
polling place on different days. What do you mean by "sequentially
stamped" in this context, and could it be used for timing/count-based
de-anonymization attacks (against individuals or groups of voters)?

> European-style PR would be great. But, for the U.S., that, and any reform at all, is really all science-fiction.

Well, it still is science-reality in America's last PR (Single
Transferable Vote) holdout: Cambridge, Massachusetts. But yeah, we're
a long way from PR reforms in the US -- it's not even seriously under
consideration anywhere, as far as I know. But organizing the
best-available knowledge seems like an important thing to be doing.

> A runoff with Score would fail FBV. I strongly recommend against runoffs with Score or Approval.

What's FBV? Favorite Betrayal Something? How would approval->runoff fail it?

FYI, I've been adding lots of stuff to my primer over the last few
days, and appreciate help getting the word out if folks find it useful
& accurate:
https://medium.com/@xirzon/the-global-fight-for-electoral-justice-a-primer-834ad8cb3b75

Cheers,

Erik