[EM] Approval Voting and Long-term effects of voting systems

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sun Dec 11 21:52:19 PST 2016

On 12/9/2016 10:05 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> The fact of it being better to equal-rank the set that is important to
> you instead of choosing among them is true with other rank methods too.
>
> In particular, it's true of Condorcet & Bucklin. It would be true of
> IRV too, if IRV allowed equal-ranking.
>
> I don't have proof that it's, in principle, a property of _all_
> ranking-methods, but I don't know of an exception.

Mike,

If  IRV allows equal-ranking, it should definitely be the "fractional"
version (so that in every round each ballot gives a single vote or
fractions of a vote
that sum to 1).

If instead a ballot gives a full vote (approval style) to each candidate
it highest ranks then the method is much more vulnerable to Pushover and
fails
Mutual Dominant Third.   I gave an example of that a while (probably
years) ago.

Here is an example of Push-over that is also a failure of Unburiable
Mutual Dominant Third:

45: A=C  (sincere is A>B)
35: B>A
20: C>B

B is the sincere MDT candidate, and so with normal IRV is strategically
invulnerable, but under  ER-IRV(Whole) loses to A.

The fractional version also makes Push-over strategising a bit easier,
so for IRV and Benham I'm opposed to allowing above-bottom
equal-ranking.

But if that is insisted on I suggest that to decide which candidate is
next eliminated we first order the candidates by the fractional method,
and then have ballots that equal-highest rank more than one candidate
give a full vote to the one of those that is highest in the order (and
nothing to any other candidate).  Then eliminate the candidate with the
fewest votes.

So in the above example the initial order is  C 40.5  >  B 35 >  A
22.5.   The 45 A=C ballots give a full vote to C, giving C 65 > B 35 > A
0.  We eliminate
A and then B and C wins.   (There are better examples where the device
does some good).

You wrote "I don't have proof that it's, in principle, a property of
_all_ ranking-methods, but I don't know of an exception."

It's true of  Winning Votes and Bucklin and any of the proposed methods
that meet FBC, but I don't see how it is of ER-IRV(fractional).

Or MinMax Margins or  ER-Benham(fractional)  or even Smith//Approval
(implicit).

In the latter case obviously the voter should truncate hir bottom-set,
but couldn't it be the case that if the voter strictly ranks hir top set
then one
of them will be the CW while the most approved candidate is in hir
bottom set but if the voter equal top-ranks hir top set there will be a
top-cycle
that includes the most approved candidate?

Chris Benham