[EM] Simmons' multiwinner schemes based on ssf(x) ("Simmons staircase function")

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Dec 10 11:24:14 PST 2016

Warren makes a good point here about the difficulty if not impossibility of
achieving "strong PR" with a distribution based method along the lines of
what I proposed.

After thinking about that I decided to try a linear decreasing density
function that does re-scale correctly, giving a Quality gauge

Q = integral over 0<x<1 of (1-x)G(x)

where G(x) is the percentage of ballot expectations greater than x.

It turns out that (as Warren sugests) this is precisely equivalent to a
method that is just a sum over sum function of the individual ballot
expectations, one that we had already tried, namely

Q = 1 - Sum over all ballots B in beta of  E(B)-1)^2/#beta

If we restrict our search to methods of the type

Q = Integral over x from zero to one of f(x)*G(x)

then for f(x) to yield proportionality, it is necessary that when p+q=1,
then p*f(p)=q*f(q).  One way to achieve this is for f(p) = 1/p  .
Unfortunately, this is undefined at p = 0, and tends to give a divergent
integral.

Another way to achieve this is to use the constraint p + q = 1 to re-write
p*f(p)=q*f(q) as  (1-q)*f(p)=(1-p)*f(q), which will be satisfied as long as
f(x) = 2 - 2x, for example.

The condition for strong PR (given PR) is a rescaling condition:  for each
positive c less than one, there must exist c2 and c3 such that

f(x/c2+c)/c3 = f(x)

This works for f(x) = 2 - 2x, but unfortunately the PR property appears to
hold only for two factions: If we have three, and  if p + q + r = 1, then
we need pf(p)=qf(q)=r(f(r).  In this case the substitution trick no longer
works.  Is there another way to bypass this obstacle?