[EM] Approval Voting and Long-term effects of voting systems

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 18:09:08 PST 2016

Daniel--

Kristofer is repeating the usual Approval-objection, the same one that
Robert expressed.

The popular assumption is that it's essential to try to elect the best
individual candidate that you can get. Contrary to popular belief, that's
only an assumption, an unsupported one.

1. In this country, for the 99%, a progressive government would be
incomparably better than a Republocrat government (like we've had for a
long time, and still have).

If you don't believe it, look at some progressive party platforms (Greens,
etc.), and compare them to the things that people are saying that they
want, or that they want changed.

So, for the 99%, _any_ progressive would support better policies than_any_
republocrat.

That means that, for the 99%, there's a strong top-set and a strong
bottom-set.

...And, when there is, Approval voting is really simple:

Approve (only) all of your strong top-set.

2. Suppose we're talking about a better world, in a better future, in which
the 99% don't have a bottom-set. Or suppose we're talking about some other
country, or some entirely different non-political voting-situation.in which
you don't have strong top & bottom sets.

There are various ways that you could vote.

a) If you wanted to, and if any reliable predictive information is
available, then you could use it for tactical voting. (We're talking about
voting in Approval).

b) If not, you could, if you wanted to, try to estimate where, in the
candidate lineuup, your merit-expectation is, and approve down to there, as
an expectation-maximizing strategy. Depending on what is known or felt
about the relation between the distributions of voters & candidates, you
could approve down to the mean, the mid-range, or the median, of the
candidates' merits.

Of course the median & midrange would be easiest: The midrange is the point
halfway between the worst & the best. But easiest of all is the median.
You'd approve the best half of the candidates. That could be regarded as a
rough estimate for the other two central-tendency measures, when they're
difficult to estimate.

c) But you needn't bother with a) or b).

Even without strong top & bottom-sets, you can still take a guess about
which set you'd like to elect instead of the other candidates.

Maybe, though you don't have strong top & bottom sets, you have _ordinary_
top & bottom sets, meaning that the merit difference between the sets is
greater (even if not incomparably greater) than the merit differences
within those 2 sets.
If so, you likely will feel like approving (only) all of your (ordinary)
top-set.

Or maybe even that isn't so, and you don't have any kind of top & bottom
sets. Maybe the merit gradation is uniform, without any gaps or natural
dividing-lines. What then?

Well, then you don't know where to make your approval cutoff. You don't
have an obvious way to choose which set you want to approve over the other.

No problem! If you don't know which set approve, then it doesn't matter!

Just approve as you feel like. Maybe just guess. Maybe flip a coin, or draw
a number from a bag. Or have the candidates' names in a bag, and draw one
to choose which one to approve down to. If you don't know which set you
want to approve, then it doesn't matter which set you approve.

Any such set that you choose by guessing will include the best, and won't
include the worst, and will be within the range that you feel that the
approval cutoff should be in. That's good enough! Don't worry about it.

Another thing: If, by guessing or drawing from a bag, you make a choice of
what set to approve, but, when you start to actually do so, you don't feel
good about it, then don't do it.

Maybe you'll say to yourself, "This is _disgusting_ !"   Then of course
don't do it. Don't approve down that far. Go by your feelings.

People who assume, as a starting premise, that it's necessary to get the
best candidate possible are making things unnecessarily difficult for
themselves. Even the more elaborate methods, the ranking-methods, do do
that as reliabliably automcatically as their advocates sometimes seem to
believe.

By approving (only) your strong top-set, or your ordinary top-set, or
(absent either of those) a set that is a good guess, within the range where
you feel that the approval cutoff should be--By approving that set, you're
maximizing the probability of electing from that set.

And that's good enough.

My message to those who complain that Approval doesn't automatically elect
the best candidate that you can get is: You worry too much.

Michael Ossipoff

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de