[EM] Keeping Candidates in Subsequent Rounds of Instant Runoff Voting

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 13 09:24:52 PDT 2016

Hello York,
It's not a stupid idea at all, it's intuitive and pleasing and I guess that many of us have thought of it. However, it damages one of IRV's major strengths, which means one can't propose it as a strict improvement.
The problem is that under IRV, you may vote "A>B" and have confidence that your vote for B will not be used until A is no longer an option. But if "eliminating" A does not mean that A is actually removed from contention, there is a possibility that your lower preference for B will help to elect B, when if you had only voted "A" (a bullet vote), the method would have elected A. This could cause voters to be more reluctant to express lower preferences.
This is not to say that I think the method is worse than IRV. It's just that it becomes a different type of method where there are a lot more ideas to compete with (many Condorcet methods, Bucklin, approval-elimination runoff, etc.).
Kevin