[EM] Cooperative voting

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Fri Oct 16 11:28:53 PDT 2015

Cooperative voting
------------------
Voters indicate one favorite candidate and separately indicate all other
candidates they approve of.

Approvals are an agreement to "conditionally cooperate".  If A is my
favorite but I also approved B, the approval for B will not count unless
there is a corresponding B-voter who approved A.

Counting
--------
1. Candidates start with their plurality totals.

2. Each pair of candidates (A,B) is examined.  Take the smaller of the
number of A-voters who approved B and the number of B-voters who approved A
and add it to both A's and B's totals.

Motivation
----------
Having run the straw poll for the Repulican Liberty Caucus last weekend,
I've been thinking about approval voting, the chicken (Burr) dilemma, and
the prisoners' dilemma.

One solution to a prisoners' dilemma situation is to offer "conditional
cooperation".

Alternatives
------------
1) Use percentages instead.  In step 2, let p equal the smaller of the
fraction of A-voters who approved B and the fraction of B-voters who
approved A.  p times the number of A-voters is added to B's total.  p times
the number of B-voters is added to A's total.

2) Use non-approval instead.  In step 2, let x equal the larger of the
number of A-voters who did NOT approve B and the number of B-voters who did
NOT approve A.  The number of A-voters minus x (if positive) is added to
B's total.  The number of B-voters minus x (if positive) is added to A's
total.

Questions
---------
Has this system been proposed before by another name?

How can it be abused?