[EM] (2): UK 'post mortem', 2nd discussion between Steve and Fred Gohlke

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Jun 28 14:05:20 PDT 2015

Good Afternoon, Alexander Praetorius

I've reviewed your comments a couple of times and find elements worthy
of note.

It seems to me you stress self-reliance as the cornerstone of democracy
and equate self-reliance to self-employment.  Don't we need to recognize
that the opportunities for self-employment are more restricted than they
once were?  The old saying, "Go West, young man.", doesn't have the
promise it had years ago.  Opening your own sandwich shop is pretty
tough when chains of fast-food joints flood the community.

We may disagree about the importance of self-employment, but we are in
agreement about a basic need of society.  You said, the people "... have
to start co-deciding with the people they meet every day and about the
way they want to do business".  I would say the people have to start
co-deciding with the people they meet every day and about the way they
want to be governed.

You continue, "... Only if they do that, they will discover and want
more influence in all kinds of aspects of their lives....", and you are
right.  You echo the thoughts of Dr. Alasdair MacIntyre, who said that
politics should be "a conception of political activity as one aspect of
the everyday activity of every adult capable of engaging in it".  He
went on to say, "Human beings, as the kind of creatures we are, need the
internal goods/goods of excellence that can only be acquired through
participation in politics if we are to flourish.  Therefore, everyone
must be allowed to have access to the political decision-making process."

Because of the similarity in your views, you might enjoy The Political
Philosophy of Alasdair MacIntyre in The Internet Encyclopedia of
Philosophy, at:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/p-macint.htm

Fred Gohlke