[EM] UK electoral systems "post mortem" discussion on radio

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 07:55:34 PDT 2015

An interesting development, but still a travesty of voter (mis)representation.

These councillors were all elected by FPTP (simple plurality) or MM-FPTP (multiple plurality) from a weird mixtures of wards: 3
wards with 3 councillors; 3 wards with 2 councillors; 2 wards with 1 councillor each.  As a result large numbers of those who voted
in these elections are not represented on the Town Council.

It may be a poke in the eye for party politics, but it doesn't do much for democratic representation of voters.  Of course, the
Independents for Frome group might be supporters of the campaign to change the voting system for local government in England.  Had a
fair voting system been in place the IfF group would not have won all 17 seats on this council given the voting patterns in the 2015
elections.

Full results here:  http://www.frometowncouncil.gov.uk/elections-2015/

James Gilmour
Edinburgh, Scotland