[EM] Extent of quota violation in Webster

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 15:41:34 PST 2015

Webster's mathematically equivalent to Sainte-Laguë isn't it? I don't see why there should be a limit. Let's say you have 100 representatives, and one state has 1% of the population and therefore you'd expect the state to have one representative. This state could win all the representatives, however. To win the 100th representative, it's population would have to be over 199 times as great as any other state. This could happen if there were enough states (about 20,000). And there's no limit to how far you can take this either in terms of lowering the percentage of the population in the largest state, or increasing the number of representatives.