[EM] Simmons' brilliantly simple "data compression" idea for large multiwinner elections

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Dec 15 14:19:17 PST 2015

I like your idea about C*(C-1) factions determined by 1st and 2nd choices.

I'm sure you've already thought of the obvious way of dealing with top
equal and second equal ratiings, but for the record, here it is:

Suppose the respective scores on a certain ballot B for the respective
candidates are

100%, 100%, 80%, 80%, 80%, 70%, 60%, ...

Each of the six bins in the set {bin(X, Y)| {X,Y} in the Cartesian product
of {c1, c2} and {c3, c4, c5}} should get a copy of B with weight 1/6 .
This weight will be used in the respective weighted averages of the ballots
in the respective bins.

Also for the record, here is a suggestion for how to turn ordinal
(i.e.ranked preference style) ballots into cardinal (i.e. range style)
ballots, so that Pereira's transform, and so forth,can be used iin that
context:

(1) Find the respective random ballot probabilities p1, p2, ... for the
respective candidates c1, c2, ...

(2) For each candidate c_i ranked above bottom on ballot B, assign the
score r_i = one minus the sum of the p_k such that c_k is ranked strictly
above c_i on ballot B.

Remarks:

Since there is no candidate ranked above a top ranked candidate, rule (1)
gives every top ranked candidate a score of one.

Unfortunately step (1) cannot be done at the precinct level, unless we are
willing to make do with the precinct estimates of the random ballot
probabilities.

"Random ballot probabilities" can be interpreted in various ways.  For
example we could use the "implicit approval" random ballot model for the
respective probabilities.  I like this version better because it would give
candidate C a higher rating in the following scenario:

45 A1=A2=A3>C
55 B1=B2=B3>C

The respective standard random ballot probabilities (.15, .15, .15, .55/3,
.55/3, .55/3, 0) would yield score vectors ...

45 (1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, .55)
55 (0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, .45)

Random implicit approval ballot would give C a probability of 1/4 if ties
were to be resolved by coin tosses, or p_C=100% if ties were to be resolved
by further ballot draws.

In the latter case (which I prefer) the probability vector would be

(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1),

and the resulting score vectors would be

45  (1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1)
55  (0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1)

In the former case (of coin toss tie breaking) the probability vector would
be

(.11, .11, .11, .14, .14, .14, .25),

and the score vectors would be

45 (1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, .67)