[EM] betterpolls.com relaunched

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Dec 7 12:05:43 PST 2015

To Brian Olson and Election Methods members,

On your TODO list, you mention multi-winner elections.
There is at least one programming organisation (OpenSTV, I believe) who
reckons to have done all the variants of STV. However, they have not
done Binomial STV (my innovation). The most ideally placed person to do
this would be someone who has already coded Meek STV (as in New Zealand)
because Binomial STV follows on from the Meek key concept of the
re-adjustable keep value.
However, with Binomial STV, not just the keep values of surplus vote
candidates are counted but also candidates with deficits of the keep
value. This is to enable comparison of the status of all candidates, in
a series of systematic re-counts, without premature exclusion of
candidates.
That means that even in single seat elections, Binomial STV can elect
without excluding candidates, and without resorting to Condorcet
pairing, which does not make one over-all comparison of the candidates.

The most basic form of Binomial STV is first order Binomial STV, which
is a preferential count of all the candidates keep values, in surplus or
deficit of a quota, and then a reverse preferential count. The keep
values of un-preference are inverted and then averaged with the
preferential keep values, to give average keep values for all the
candidates.
In order not to give the reverse preference count undue importance,
compared to the preference count, all the preferences are counted,
including preference abstentions, which are at the end of the ballot
papers, reducing the importance of reverse preferences, unless the voter
has ranked all the candidates.
With Binomial STV, returning a blank ballot paper is equivalent to: None
Of The Above.
Binomial STV is explained in my second e-book on election reform and
research.
I have studied this subject all my adult life, to past pension age.
For your interest, please consult Free from Smashwords:

Peace-making Power-sharing:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/542631

Scientific Method of Elections:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/548524