[EM] (16) APR: Steve's short 16th dialogue with Richard Fobes (Steve)

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Apr 3 12:12:15 PDT 2015

Steve, in your latest message (copied below) you ask several questions
for which you want a yes or no answer, but your introductory wording
includes the word "not," which results in questions that are double
negatives.  Plus, some of your questions are worded as if they are a
single question, yet actually they are multiple questions.  Here are my
answers.

VoteFair Ranking takes place during one day for the primary election,
and another (separate) day for the general election.

When you read my book, pay close attention to the election that Arnold
Schwarzenegger won to become governor of California.  That was a special
election that did not have a primary.  As a result, there were more than
100 candidates on the ballot competing in a single race for governor.
This demonstrates the essential role of primary elections.

One of the weaknesses of your APR method is that it does not (yet)
accommodate primary elections.  I recommend that you modify your method
to include them.

Reading all of my book will help you understand why primary elections
are needed in the United States.

You again ask about wasted votes (although without using that term).

For VoteFair Ranking, the worst-case scenario can produce up to 49
percent wasted votes.

For comparison, your APR method can produce up to 90 percent wasted votes.

Of course both methods can achieve zero percent wasted votes in the
best-case scenarios.

For VoteFair Ranking, the typical real-world range of wasted votes would
be about between 30 percent and 15 percent.  This is an estimate.

For your APR method, the typical real-world range of wasted votes would
be about between 30 percent and 10 percent.  This too is an estimate.

Regarding another question you have, if VoteFair Ranking were used to
elect representatives in the state of California, a voter would only
choose among candidates running in their district, yet a vote for a
non-winning candidate still influences the results in two or three
additional ways -- which you will read about in my book.

One of your questions includes the use of the word "guaranteed," but
voting methods never offer guarantees.  For example, in your APR method
there are no guarantees that an elected politician will vote in the
legislature in the ways that are hoped for by the person who gives their
"vote" to that politician.

Generally speaking, predictability is as close to a guarantee as
politics can produce.  I would argue that VoteFair Ranking increases the
predictability of how elected politicians will vote during legislative
decisions.  Yes, this same claim can be made by your APR method.

Finally, I recommend that you read my book -- Ending the Hidden
Unfairness in U.S. Elections -- carefully.  I have densely packed lots
of information and important insights into the book, yet hopefully
without undermining easy readability.

Those insights include explanations that account for why it would be
impossible for the U.S. Constitution to be amended to accommodate your
APR method for use in electing members of Congress.

That's all I have time for now.

P.S. Thank you Kristofer for correcting Steve about the correct name of
VoteFair Ranking.

Richard Fobes