[EM] Oregon top-two primary proposal

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Thu Sep 25 11:03:58 PDT 2014

 > On 09/16/2014 05:40 AM, Dick Burkhart wrote:
 >> Oregon is considering a "top 2" primary, a very regressive move in my
 >> opinion.

I live in Oregon and I too regard the proposed (on the November ballot)
"top 2 primary" to be a step backward.

(It uses single-mark ballots, and basically pools the candidates and
ballots of all political parties.)

If this gets adopted, either the Republican party or the Democratic
party can win BOTH of the top two runoff positions just by quietly
funding extra candidates in the opposition party, and limiting their own
party to two candidates.

A simple improvement would be to use approval ballots.  It would be
simpler than creating a top 3 election.

Yes, Condorcet is fairer, but approval ballots would work fine in
PRIMARY elections -- of either the traditional or top-two kind, and it's
compatible with existing ballot-counting equipment.

Ironically, if this top-two primary law gets adopted, vote splitting
will become more obvious, and that increased attention might sooner
motivate real reforms.

BTW, everyone in Oregon votes by mail.  There are no polling places to
go to.  (The cost of mailing a ballot is avoided by using the ballot
boxes in nearby libraries.)

Richard Fobes