[EM] How choice of voting systems depend on amount of participants

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Oct 6 16:50:18 PDT 2014

On 10/6/2014 4:10 PM, dikov dikov wrote:
 > I though that Condorcet methods are better when multiple places are
 > concerned. Then scoring every entry brings relevant ranking. On another
 > hand if only one winner is considered than simple majority system is
 > accurate enough.
 > Is it correct, or I am wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by "if only one winner is considered," but
I'd say that your interpretation is not yet correct.

The biggest issue is the number of candidates.  That is true regardless
of the number of winners.

The only way that simple majority ("plurality") voting works is if there
are only two candidates.  It also works if one of the candidates gets a
majority (more than half) the votes, but most people mistakenly think
that that means the winner can be whichever candidate gets the most
votes.  (Most votes and more than half the votes are very different.)

If there are three or more candidates -- which many of us believe should
be the case in any governmental election -- then single-mark ballots
(where only one candidate name can be marked) do NOT work.

In these cases (most real elections), there are three kinds of ballots
to choose from:

*  Approval ballots, where more than one candidate name can be marked.

*  Ranked ballots, also called 1-2-3 ballots, (and sometimes other names
are used), which you recognize.

*  Score ballots, where each candidate is given a score, similar to
Amazon's use of 1 to 5 stars.

Condorcet voting methods use ranked ballots.

If approval ballots or score ballots are used, then whichever candidate
gets the most "votes" (approvals or points) wins.

For more details, and a more careful explanation, please take a look at
this web page:

   http://www.bansinglemarkballots.org/declaration.html

It is the "Declaration of Election-Method Reform Advocates" that most of
us who are active here on this forum (with a few exceptions)
collectively wrote and signed.

I figure that as long as you need to ask questions then there may be
other people reading this forum who also have the same, or similar,
confusions, so keep asking questions if you need clarity about any details.

Richard Fobes