[EM] New Criterion

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed May 21 02:49:21 PDT 2014

> "for Benham, what if we count fractional (for equal rank top) as you
> suggest when doing the IRV eliminations, but check at each step for a
> pairwise beats all candidate in the usual way?"

Forest,  That wouldn't be too bad.  But it seems to me that it would
make Pushover strategizing less risky (than not allowing above-bottom
equal-rankings) and since the method
fails FBC  I didn't see sufficient justification for the extra complexity.

> "In your example below, since B beats A pairwise 31 to zero and B
> beats C 65 to 35, no IRV elimination step is required, so how equal
> rank top is counted in this example does not seem to matter."

Yes, Benham has less of a Pushover vulnerability problem than IRV.   I
don't understand your other question.  Benham only checks for a single
CW. "Symmetrically completing" pairwise
contests can't make any difference to that.

A better example of my suggested way of getting extra "pushover resistance":

04: A=C  (sincere is A or A>B)
41 A
28 B>A
27 C>B

B>A 55-45,    A>C 69-27,   C>B 31-28.   Top Preferences (erf):  A43 >
C29 > B28

B is the sincere CW (and so also the sincere Benham winner) and the
sincere IRV winner. Benham and IRV elect A.

My suggested variant looks at the order of candidates according to their
TP(erf) scores and on seeing that A is higher in that order than C
assigns the whole value of A=C ballots to A
(and none of it to C) to give  A45 > B28 > C27 (purely for the purpose
of the IRV component and not the pairwise component in Benham) and then
eliminates C and elects B.

Chris Benham