[EM] New Criterion

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon May 19 12:15:49 PDT 2014

Chris and Mike,

your combined comments gave me an idea for a more practical version of
semi-sincerity:

A method satisfies Semi-Sincerity Relative to MAM or SS(MAM) if and only if
a semi-sincere modification of the sincere preferences leads to a strategic
equilibrium ballot set from which the method elects the the sincere MAM
winner.

This criterion recognizes the superiority of MAM under ideal conditions
while allowing the method in question to comply with CD, for example.

Suppose our method is Benham, and sincere votes are

34 A>B
31 B
35 C

A semi-sincere ballot modification results in a Nash equilibrium for Benham
that elects B, the MAM winner of the sincere ballot set (not to mention the
modified set).

34 A=B
31 B
35 C