[EM] Is this another formulation of Benham's new method?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri May 2 00:46:28 PDT 2014

Forest wrote:

> But this brings up another method:  Majority Enhanced MPO(tw), in
> analogy with Majority Enhanced Approval:
>
> Initiate a list L with the name of the candidate with the least
> MPO(tw).  Then while there is any candidate that covers all of the
> candidates listed, from among such candidates add to the list the name
> of the one with the least MPO(tw). Elect the last candidate added to
> the list.

That doesn't seem to resist Burial as well as  MMLV(erw)M.  In this
example I gave in an earlier recent post:

> 34 A>B
> 17 C>A
> 16 B>C
> 31 B
> 02 B>C  (sincere is B or B>A)
>
> A is the sincere Condorcet winner (and a sincere Mutual Dominant Third
> winner).

> adjacent candidates B and A (15)  is smaller than
> that between A and C (17), and A pairwise beats B, so Margins Sort
> first flips that order to give A>B>C with no candidate pairwise
> beating the next highest in the order, and so elects the candidate
> highest in this final order, A.
>
> C>A -17,   A>B -15,   B>C +32.      A has the weakest defeat and so wins.

MPO (tw) scores:   B51 > A66 > 83    B (the buriers' candidate)  has the
smallest PO(tw) score and is uncovered and so wins.

Likewise in another earlier example:

> 46 A
> 44 B>C (sincere is B or B>A)
> 05 C>A
> 05 C>B
>
> A>B 51-49,  B>C  44-10,  C>A 54-46.   MinMax (Losing Votes) scores:
> B49,  A46,  C10.

MPO(tw) scores:  B51 > A56 > C90

Again the Burier's candidate B wins with Forest's suggested " Majority
Enhanced MPO(tw)" method.  MMLV(erw)M elects A, and if all of 46A change
to A>B it still elects A.

Chris Benham