[EM] Approval Margins example

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed May 14 09:31:13 PDT 2014

Forest,

Originally I conceived Approval Margins as using ballots with an
approval  cutoff/threshold, but since then I've largely gone off
allowing voters to rank among unapproved candidates (and the somewhat
more complicated ballot).

But I agree that with that type of ballot Approval Margins is  a good
method.

Still, in the example the chicken dilemma is to some extent revived.
Maybe the A voters can be scared into approving B, in which
case maybe the B voters can again get their favourite elected by
"defecting".  Arguably it's better for the method to have a kind
of  (Strangegloveian)  "doomsday machine"  defection deterrence.

Chris Benham