No subject

Thu May 8 11:58:05 PDT 2014

Condition 1' (from p.96):  All logically possible orderings of the
alternative social states are admissible.

The original Condition 1 (from p.24) stated:  Among all the alternatives
there is a set S of three alternatives such that, for any set of
individual orderings T1, ..., Tn of the alternatives in S, there is an
admissible set of individual orderings R1, ..., Rn of all the
alternatives such that, for each individual i, x Ri y if and only if x
Ti y for x and y in S.

Condition 3 (from p.27):  Let R1, ..., Rn and R1', ..., and Rn' be two
sets of individual orderings and let C(S) and C'(S) be the corresponding
social choice functions.  If, for all individuals i and for all x and y
in a given environment S, x Ri y if and only if x Ri' y, then C(S) and
C'(S) are the same (independence of irrelevant alternatives).

Condition P (from p.96):  If x Pi y for all i, then x P y (Pareto
principal).

Condition 5 (from p.30):  The social welfare function is not to be
dictatorial (non-dictatorship).

Theorum 2 (from p.97): Conditions 1', 3, P, and 5 are inconsistent.

Clearly, approval voting does not satisfy either Condition 1 or 1'.
Since x Ri y in Condition 3 appears to refer to *admissible* orderings,
and not to the individual orderings from which they were derived (see
original condition 1), approval voting does seem to meet Condition 3.

Bart