[EM] Methods

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 04:59:13 PDT 2014

"None of the above" (NOTA) would be a good thing to have, because it would
make it easy to show that you're refusing to vote for anyone because none
of them are any good, not because you're completely satisfied with the
people who are getting elected. ...and that's precisely why we'll never get
NOTA. Without it, our media can claim that the reason why most people don't
vote is that they're completely satisfied. We'd no more be allowed NOTA
than we'd be allowed a voting system other than Plurality, or honest,
inclusive media.

It isn't true that Approval always poses a dilemma about whether to approve
your 2nd choice. In our elections there are always unacceptable candidates.
Don't approve them. You don't want to, and you shouldn't.

If the candididates can be divided into two sets, such that making the
winner not come from one of the sets is considerably more important than
the matter of _which_ member of a set wins, then I call that an
unacceptable/acceptable (u/a) election. Approval strategy is easy in a u/a
election (if there isn't a chicken-dilemma).

Because there often will be a chicken dilemma in official political
elections, a chicken-dilemma-free method is desirable, a method that passes
the Chicken-Dilemma Criterion (CD). IRV passes (most notably) the
Mutual-Majority Criterion (MMC) and CD. Benham and Woodall additionally
pass Condorcet. More concisely, Benham and Woodall pass Smith and CD.

At least 6 U.S. political parties offer IRV in their platforms, and I
commend them for that, even though IRV can arguably be improved on by
Benham or Woodall. (That's because Condorcet compliance eases the
strategy-situation for voters who aren't in a mutual majority, and because
it avoids the voting-system's replacment by a dis-satisfied majority).

Regardless of what the voting system is, you shouldn't vote for
unacceptable candidates. If the entire lineup consists of odious
candidates, then boycott the election. Do that as a statement, and organize
for others to do so too. Or just as a personal matter-of-principle. Or just
refuse to vote because you don't feel like voting among a set of odious and
unaccepable candidates.

Other reasons to not vote include:

1. Un-verifable vote-counting
2. Dishonest, agenda-ridden, 1-agenda-promoting media

Both of those make a joke of democracy. Either of those, by itself, would
make a joke of democracy. Of course both are present in our elections,
media and polical system, which is why I don't vote.

If the candidate lineup consists of only Hitler, Bush, Obama, Hillary
Clinton, Idi Amin, etc., then, no matter what the voting-system is, your
best voting-strategy is simple and obvious: Don't vote.

One reason not to is that presumably it hasn't been possible for an
acceptble candidate to get on the ballot. That, by itself, is justification
for boycotting the election (as are the two numbered reasons stated above).

Michael Ossipoff