[EM] PR for ethnically polarized electorates

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:44:46 PDT 2014

The "Ultimate Lottery" is one such method, but it satisfies only a weak
form of mono raise: improving the position of a party on some ballots will
not reduce that party's calculated proportional share to zero.

The conditional approval approach satisfies strict monotonicity: improving
the position of a party on some ballots cannot decrease the party's
calculated proportional share.

In the context we are considering, namely polarized electorates like those
of Iraq, Rwanda, etc. the main faction sizes are well known.  This fact
should enable moderate parties to publish recommended conditional approval
ballots, or allow voters to vote "below the line"

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de