[EM] Comments on a posting from Benjamin Grant

Dick Burkhart dickburkhart at comcast.net
Sat Jan 4 17:22:35 PST 2014

A majority party could do better by running clones and encouraging random
ranking of their clones, but a minority party that is strong enough and well
enough focused on their top candidates could still win some representation,
unlike the present winner-take-all systems.

However, if the stakes are high enough and the barriers to entry low enough
that clone campaigns are perceived to be a problem, then there you could
either do proportional representation directly or in primary election. For
example, if a political party of voting block should have elected 2.15
candidates in a proportional primary, then let their top 3 candidates go on
to the general election instead of a full slate. A voting block representing
0.55 candidates would get only their top candidate into the general
election.

I have a clustering algorithm which identifies voting blocks from voting
patterns and their ideal representation (fractional number of positions).
And in my version of Borda, if a voter ranks less than a full slate, the
uncast tallies are divided equally (as fractions) among the remaining
candidates, providing an incentive to rank allied candidates.

Dick Burkhart
4802 S Othello St,  Seattle, WA  98118
206-721-5672 (home)  206-851-0027 (cell)
dickburkhart at comcast.net