[EM] Chain Climbing

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Apr 26 00:30:09 PDT 2014

On 04/26/2014 01:32 AM, Forest Simmons wrote:

> The approval cutoffs allow voters greater ability to make their will
> known.  In some cases they help to discern strong preferences among
> ranked clones that would otherwise be impossible to express on mere
> ordinal ballots.  Which is a stronger refutation of putative clone
> status?  A new candidate D being ranked between C and C' on a few
> ballots. or an approval cutoff being placed between them on the same
> ballots?
>

> Where do we go from here?

The next obvious step seems to be ratings or grades. Grades could be
considered either quantized ratings or "the ability to skip a rank", the
latter being more of a Bucklin interpretation.

But if we go to grades or ratings, that raises the question of what the
ratings *mean*. And if they mean whatever the voter wants it to mean,
i.e. they're neutral devices that can be employed in whatever way the
voter sees fit to maximize the impact of his vote, then we're right back
to plain old Approval (by detour of Range). Approval could possibly be
improved by runoffs, but absent that, it's pretty much a stable local
optimum: given the assumption of votes as impact-maximizing devices, and
of every voter as a strategist in that sense, any "reasonable" extension
of Approval itself will simply reduce to it.

If, on the other hand, we suppose the voters will compare candidates to
an independent scale, then we get MJ.

Perhaps we could get further by creating randomized strategy proof
methods for each model. Then a honest vote with respect to a certain
model is what the voter would put in the model's corresponding
randomized method. The strategy-proof method for Plurality-style voting
is Random Favorite, and the strategy-proof method for ordinary ranked
voting is Random Pair (but is that with or without truncation?).

Maybe the strategy-proof method for certain ideas of what rating means
is Hay. But what's the strategy-proof method for ranked voting with
approval cutoffs? I don't know.

Beyond this, I would again suggest that one sets up experiments to test
to what degree voters would strategize under ranked voting. Since
ordinary ranked voting doesn't let us distinguish a honest situation
from a strategic one by the ballot set alone, find out if it is going to
be a problem in reality. There's no need to overengineer a method and
add more armor than it needs. OTOH, it should be resilient enough to
weaken strategy so that the number of strategizers decreases rather than
increases with time. Where this balance should be doesn't seem to be
something we can deduce by logic alone.

Jameson said he was doing something data-gathering of that sort. Did he
get useful results?