[EM] Fwd: TACC (total approval chain climbing) example

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:47:01 PDT 2014

Oops; I mis-replied individually, instead of to the list. Here's what I
said:
----
This thread is interesting. However, it's also very heavy on the acronyms.
Can I ask that when you use an acronym, you make sure it's explained
adequately on the electorama wiki? At a quick check,
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/TACC is inadequate and
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/MAM is nonexistent.

As to the discussion: this is really the heart of the chicken dilemma. I
don't think there's any way to look at a set of ballots like

40 C
35 A>B
25 B

... and get an answer that's not going to be wrong some of the time. If
these ballots are honest, then B should win. If the B voters are truncating
an honest A second preference, than A would be the ideal winner, but
perhaps the system should choose C in order to discourage that strategy.
And if enough of the B voters are truncating C, you could make an argument
that C is the best winner.

The only system I know of where I wouldn't worry about this situation is
SODA. Under SODA, since C and B are required to declare second preferences,
the ballots above could not occur with lazy voters. So in order to get the
ballots above in a chicken dilemma situation, you'd have to have C voters
going out of their way to check "Do not delegate", in hopes that [B voters
would go out of their way to do so, in mistaken hopes that A voters would
not go out of their way to do so]; and then the C voters' hopes would have
to be right about the B voters but wrong about the A voters, while the B
voters were wrong about the A voters. In other words, as long as there's
common information (however complete or incomplete), the ballots above just
won't happen in SODA.

Short of SODA... I'm interested in the discussion of various preferential
methods, but I think that MAV is probably the best answer to the situation,
and it's not so great. It would elect B in the above scenario, possibly
rewarding a chicken strategy from B voters; but if 3/10 to 4/10 of the A
voters truncate, then it's very hard and risky for the B voters to get
their way.

Jameson