[EM] MMPO(IA>MPO) (was IA/MMPO)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Oct 14 22:00:18 PDT 2013

Hi Forest,

I should say, it seems I went too far in describing the "potential approval winner set" idea. That idea is only descriptive for the ordinary Plurality criterion that is based on strict first preferences (because you can assume that the approvals for those candidates would still be there under an Approval election).

While the "IA>=MPO" criterion is (I would say) sound, it is a bit harder to defend along the same lines, because the MPO could come from a candidate ranked relatively low.

> De : Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
>thanks for the insights and suggestions. It's kind of you to suggest my name, Jameson, but I would rather something more descriptive similar to "the potential approval winner set" of Chris and Kevin or more public relations friendly like the Democratically Acceptable Set.  My original motivation (that eventually led to IA/MPO as an approximate solution) was to find a candidate most likely to win two approval elections in a row (going into the second election as front runner) without a change in sincere voter preferences, but with an opportunity to adjust their ballot approval cutoffs.

And also maintain monotonocity and/or FBC, I suppose? Otherwise, it wouldn't be so hard.

>Personally, I still prefer IA-MPO over MMPO[IA>=MPO] because of the superior participation properties, but I recognize the importance of the Majority Criterion in public proposals.  Ironically, in reality Approval satisfies the ballot version of the Majority Criterion, while IA-MPO does not, yet in the face of disinformation or other common sources of uncertainty IA-MPO is at least as likely to elect the actual majority favorite as Appoval is.

Well personally, I would want to keep the IAMPO name but apply it to MMPO[IA>=MPO] since the latter is not pronounceable. Or else maybe a name for the set is really needed. It's up to you of course. But, I don't really like marketing-oriented names like DMC. I feel like you'll end up in situations where you have to answer e.g. "what is DMC and why is it good" while never using the D, the M, or the C in your answer because they're not really that relevant to the concept.

Too bad, that appealing yet descriptive names are so hard to find.

Kevin Venzke