[EM] Re2: Fobes wrt IRV w. relatively few competitive candidates.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:44:50 PDT 2013

> On 5/28/2013 12:51 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
> >> Richard Fobes wrote:
> >>     Plurality voting and limited voting (and the Borda count if the
> voters
> >>     are undisciplined) are about the only methods that _cannot_ handle
> 3 or
> >>     (maybe) 4 popular choices along with any number of unpopular
> choices.
> >
> > So you agree that IRV works w. relatively few popular candidates?
>
> The results for IRV get worse as the number of candidates increase.
>
> Condorcet methods give fair results regardless of the number of
> candidates.  Approval voting gives reasonably fair results regardless of
> the number of candidates.
>
> IRV can usually -- but not always -- handle 3 candidates.  And IRV can
> sometimes handle 4 candidates.  But IRV becomes quite unreliable -- and
> also vulnerable to strategic voting -- if there are 5 or more candidates.

dlw: So if there is a feedback from the election rule used that tends to
change the number of competitive candidates then it might make sense to
first push IRV and then
something more "advanced" later on, after the expected number of candidates
rises?

> >      > So it seems disengaged from reality to let C, the number of
> >     candidates,
> >      > go to infinity... and if a lot of candidates are not going to get
> >      > elected then to disregard voter info/preference over them is of
> much
> >      > less consequence.
> >
> >     Although the number of popular candidates is now small, that's
> because
> >     we use plurality voting.  When we use better voting methods, the
> number
> >     of popular candidates will increase; of course not to infinity, but
> >     frequently beyond the 3 or 4 popular choices that IRV can handle with
> >     fairness.
> >
> > dlw: This is a conjecture.  One that I don't think makes economic sense
> > when one considers all that is entailed with a competitive campaign for
> > an important single-seat election.
>
> The biggest campaign contributors (a.k.a. special interests) have forced
> voters into the Republican and Democratic parties, and then taken
> control of the primary elections of both parties by taking advantage of
> vote splitting.  All sorts of things will change when these constraints
> are removed.

dlw: These constraints won't per se be removed entirely.
Special interests will still exist and $peech will still matter for
elections, regardless
of what election rules get used.

If there exists varying cognitive limits in voters, it doesn't negate the
need for electoral reform but it does mitigate the scope for expanding the
number of competitive candidates/parties, or how much merely changing the
single-winner election rule used would make a difference.

I believe the diff IRV makes makes it worth it.  Given the current habits
of the US, I don't see "advanced-systems" havinge sufficient additional
value-added to justify switching from the extensive marketing campaign
already in place for IRV.  If things evolve, it will be easier to switch
from IRV, in part because of widespread habituation to IRV and how it'll
make it harder for those who benefit from the status quo to divide and
conquer advocates of reform.

> My point is that Condorcet and Approval methods can handle whatever
> number of parties arise.  In contrast, IRV will fail if there turn out
> to be more than 3 or 4 effective parties, so IRV is not a reliable choice.

You mean IRV is not reliable if it becomes reasonable to expect for there
to be more than 3 or 4 effective candidates in a single-winner election...
 This is not the case in the US today.

> >     Although it's a non-governmental example, take a look at the current
> >     VoteFair American Idol poll.  The number of popular music genres is
> >     about 5, and there are about 7 singers who get more than a few
> >     first-choice votes.
> >
> >     http://www.votefair.org/cgi-bin/votefairrank.cgi/votingid=idols
> >
> >     IRV would correctly identify the most popular music genre (based on
> >     current results), but probably would not correctly identify the most
> >     popular singer.
> >
> > Apples and Oranges.
> > There's no serious economic costs to competing in American Idol and so
> > the number of competitive singers is not naturally hampered by that and
> > the need for a large support base or expensive advertisements or
> > connections for important endorsements.
>
> Here you seem to be saying that IRV is OK in governmental elections even
> though it can't handle a singing contest.

Only because the number of competitive candidates tends to be significantly
lower, as is consistent with my economics-based argument.

> >     Why would voters trust a voting method that stops getting fair
> results
> >     with so few popular candidates?
> >
> > Because when one considers the potential candidates have for taking on
> > ideas, there isn't a need for a large number of candidates to make the
> > de facto center much more like the true center.
> >
> > Only among theorists does one constrain candidates to fixed positions in
> > policy-spaces.
>
> Actually I see politics as multi-dimensional, which is why I don't talk
> about left and center and right (because that's one-dimensional).

dlw: But any multi-dim policy-space can be collapsed into a one-dim system.
 So left/center/right can still prove useful... and my more important point
about candidates/parties shifting within the one or multi-dim system still
holds in mitigating the import of raising the number of competitive
candidates.

We can increase the expected quality of competitive candidates w.o.
increasing the expected number of competitive candidates much.

> >     Yes, IRV is easy to explain, but that advantage becomes unimportant
> as
> >     the number of popular candidates increases, which it will when better
> >     voting methods are adopted.
> >
> > That may be your story, but when one adds realism with folks able to
> > express voice thru other means besides voting then it becomes less
> > important to amp up C much.  The non-competitive candidates can still
> > move the center.
>
> I don't know what your words here mean.  As I said, "center" implies
> one-dimensional thinking, and I see things as multi-dimensional (which
> means there is lots of cross-party voting [although mainstream media
> mistakenly calls those voters "undecided"]).

dlw: There is still a center in a multi-dim system and it's not per se
either multi-dim or single-dim, since a multi-dim can be collapsed into a
single-dim.

> > And the opportunity cost of trying to settle on an alternative
> > alternative to FPTP than IRV will become apparent.
>
> I support the idea of having (initially, small) organizations try out
> different kinds of voting and letting that process educate citizens as
> to what works and what doesn't.

dlw: But if the scale is small then the number of competitive candidates
will tend to be bigger, which in turn will affect the relative value of IRV
vs non-IRV and so there needs
to be a mindfulness of how the expected number of competitive candidates
matters.

> This means I oppose the belief that IRV is the only method that should
> be tried.  It has been tried, and the results have not been impressive.

dlw: The jury is still out and there's also an aggressive status quo that
has a strong perverse incentive to stir up rivalries among advocates for
different electoral alternatives to FPTP. As an advocate for alternative
rules than IRV you aren't the most disengaged person from the assessment of
the evicence.

> One broader point underlies this discussion.  A major reason why the
> U.S. has only two political parties is that if a third-party
> Presidential candidate gets even a (relatively) few _electoral_ votes,
> that would likely block a majority of votes going to either the
> Republican or Democratic candidate, and that would throw the election
> into the House of Representatives (with each state getting one vote),
> and the House is not going to choose the third-party candidate.  That
> scenario has happened in the past, and the after-effect is the
> abandonment of an otherwise strong third party.  IRV would not solve
> this problem, yet many proponents of IRV seem to think it would, and
> accordingly (but mistakenly) they promote IRV as a way to help third
> parties grow in popularity.

dlw: I doubt anyone who supports 3rd parties wants IRV alone.  IRV in our
prez election wd get 3rd party candidates R-E-S-P-E-C-T and help them to
move the "de facto" political center that the two major parties tend to
center around.  They may want that a lot more than an end to our two-party
system.

For there's nothing intrinsic to a two-party dominated system to be as
dysfunctional as our current two-party dominated system with its tilt
towards becoming a single-party dominated system.
dlw