[EM] Re to Fobes on why C in single-winner political elections need not be big..,

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:51:18 PDT 2013

dlw

> Plurality voting and limited voting (and the Borda count if the voters
> are undisciplined) are about the only methods that _cannot_ handle 3 or
> (maybe) 4 popular choices along with any number of unpopular choices.

So you agree that IRV works w. relatively few popular candidates?

> > So it seems disengaged from reality to let C, the number of candidates,
> > go to infinity... and if a lot of candidates are not going to get
> > elected then to disregard voter info/preference over them is of much
> > less consequence.
>
> Although the number of popular candidates is now small, that's because
> we use plurality voting.  When we use better voting methods, the number
> of popular candidates will increase; of course not to infinity, but
> frequently beyond the 3 or 4 popular choices that IRV can handle with
> fairness.

dlw: This is a conjecture.  One that I don't think makes economic sense
when one considers all that is entailed with a competitive campaign for an
important single-seat election.

> Although it's a non-governmental example, take a look at the current
> VoteFair American Idol poll.  The number of popular music genres is
> about 5, and there are about 7 singers who get more than a few
> first-choice votes.
>
>      http://www.votefair.org/cgi-bin/votefairrank.cgi/votingid=idols
>
> IRV would correctly identify the most popular music genre (based on
> current results), but probably would not correctly identify the most
> popular singer.

Apples and Oranges.
There's no serious economic costs to competing in American Idol and so the
number of competitive singers is not naturally hampered by that and the
need for a large support base or expensive advertisements or connections
for important endorsements.

> Why would voters trust a voting method that stops getting fair results
> with so few popular candidates?

Because when one considers the potential candidates have for taking on
ideas, there isn't a need for a large number of candidates to make the de
facto center much more like the true center.

Only among theorists does one constrain candidates to fixed positions in
policy-spaces.

> Yes, IRV is easy to explain, but that advantage becomes unimportant as
> the number of popular candidates increases, which it will when better
> voting methods are adopted.

That may be your story, but when one adds realism with folks able to
express voice thru other means besides voting then it becomes less
important to amp up C much.  The non-competitive candidates can still move
the center.

And the opportunity cost of trying to settle on an alternative alternative
to FPTP than IRV will become apparent.
dlw