[EM] MAV on electowiki

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 26 09:31:30 PDT 2013

Jameson,

I don't like this version at all. These methods all have the problem that the voters have a strong incentive to just submit approval ballots, i.e. only use the top and bottom grades.

Your suggested way of determining a winner among candidates who first get a majority in the same round only makes that incentive a bit stronger still.

I agree with a Mike Ossipoff suggestion, that we elect the member of that set of candidates with the most above-bottom votes.

Also, given the strong truncation incentive, I think 5 grades is one too many. In my opinion 4 grades would be adequately expressive.

My favourite Bucklin-like method is "Irrelevant-Ballot Independent Fallback-Approval" (aka IBFA) that I introduced in May 2010.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2010-May/026479.html

"A, B, C, D" are probably better names for the ratings slots than the "Top, Middle1, Middle2, Bottom" in that post.

Comparing it to Bucklin, it meets Independence from Irrelevant Ballots which means that adding or removing a few ballots that bullet-vote for nobody (ignored on all the other ballots) can't change the winner.

The small "price" paid for this (apart from greater complexity) is that it fails Later-no-Help. That is mostly a benefit because it weakens the truncation incentive.

The other advantage of IBIFA over Bucklin is that it is far more likely to elect the Condorcet winner. If the winners are different then the IBIFA winner will always pairwise beat the Bucklin (or Majority Judgement) winner.

Chris Benham