[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 18 16:13:22 PDT 2013

Oops! Yes, thanks Abd.

I made an error. The A and B group was supposed to add up to 49, not 51. So it should be:
 25: A>Y>X
24: B>Y>X
17: C>D>X
17: E>F>X
17: G>H>X

100 ballots, Bucklin election.

The majority threshold is 51 and X wins in the third round. But if we add anywhere between 3 and 100
X>Y ballots then Y wins in the second round.

Chris Benham

 At 03:58 PM 6/17/2013, Chris Benham wrote:
>Benjamin,
>The criterion ("criteria" is the plural) you suggest is not new. It
>is called Mono-add-Top, and comes from Douglas Woodall.
>
>It is met by IRV and MinMax(Margins) but is failed by Bucklin. In my
>opinion IRV is the best of the methods that meet it.
>
>26: A>Y>X
>25: B>Y>X
>17: C>D>X
>17: E>F>X
>17: G>H>X
>
>The majority threshold is 51 and X wins in the third round. But if
>we add anywhere between 3 and 100
>X>Y ballots then Y wins in the second round.

Some error there. Total votes are 102. Majority is 52 votes.

<snip>