[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 17 13:58:14 PDT 2013

Benjamin,

The criterion ("criteria" is the plural) you suggest is not new. It is called Mono-add-Top, and comes from Douglas Woodall.

It is met by IRV and MinMax(Margins) but is failed by Bucklin. In my opinion IRV is the best of the methods that meet it.

26: A>Y>X
25: B>Y>X
17: C>D>X
17: E>F>X
17: G>H>X

The majority threshold is 51 and X wins in the third round. But if we add anywhere between 3 and 100
X>Y ballots then Y wins in the second round.

You'll find some interesting stuff on Kevin Venzke's old page:
http://nodesiege.tripod.com/elections/

Notice that your version (in an earlier post) of the Plurality criterion is wrong.

Chris Benham