[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Benjamin Grant benn at 4efix.com
Mon Jun 17 09:43:34 PDT 2013


From: Jameson Quinn [mailto:jameson.quinn at gmail.com] 
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work
together after all?


2013/6/17 Benjamin Grant <benn at 4efix.com <mailto:benn at 4efix.com> >

is because we are letting people skip grades/places.  Or to put another way,
if we asked the voters under Bucklin to fill out each ballot more strictly,
ranking 1st through Nth where there are N candidates - I know that several
do not like this approach, *but* my question is this - does *strictly
ranked* Bucklin fail Participation??


Yes. Just add 500 other candidates, and fill in the gaps with
randomly-selected candidates from the 500. Obviously, you could probably get
by with a lot less than 500 - at a rough guess, I'd expect that 8 would be
plenty without changing the numbers here, and probably around 4-6 would be
enough to make a similar example with smaller gaps work, but my point is
that with enough extra candidates who cluster at the bottom of most ballots,
you can turn any rated scenario into a ranked scenario.


You are being tempted by a mirage here. The first lesson of "voting school
kindergarten" is that most problems don't have a perfect solution. That
doesn't mean you stop looking for ways to improve things, but it does mean
that when you imagine a "fix", you do your best to shoot holes in your own
idea. 95% of the time you'll succeed, but the other 5% still makes it worth




Oh.  That's disappointing.  I have to see it with my own eyes, although I am
sure you know what you are talking about, my brain won't let me move on
until I see the disproof.  So I will try to create one - a situation where
in using strictly ranked Bucklin, adding a new ballot in which A is ranked
higher than B, this new ballot somehow switches the winner from A to B.


The challenge is that its intuitively seems like such an impossible task, I
am worried that should such an example be possible (and you say it is, and I
believe you) I might never find it in my blind spot!


So if anyone *has* a handy example of this, I would be grateful for it being
brought to my attention, otherwise, I am going to have to try to create it
on my own in my own blind spot.


Thanks. :)


-Benn Grant

eFix Computer Consulting

 <mailto:benn at 4efix.com> benn at 4efix.com



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/attachments/20130617/3e0400c0/attachment-0004.htm>

More information about the Election-Methods mailing list