[EM] Monetized score voting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 17 07:18:10 PDT 2013

On 06/17/2013 03:10 AM, Warren D Smith wrote:
> is my name for an idea advanced in atrocious work by several
> economists (2012-2013) and improved/corrected/examined by me. The idea
> is by paying to cast your score voting ballot according to certain
> carefully designed price formulas, you will become inspired by the
> profit motive to vote honestly. Unfortunately this disregards some
> massive real world problems, but perhaps might be ok in some corporate
> votes and also (if the whole max-profit-motive-theorem is abandoned
> instead merely seeking to discourage exaggeration in range voting) as
> modified by us even perhaps in governmental ones.
>
> Analysis here:
>     http://rangevoting.org/MonetizedRV.html

The first thing that comes to mind, and you probably said so already, is
that the mere fact that people are voting in large public elections in
the first place implies that the voters are not voting simply to
increase expected return by changing who is in power. The probability of
a single vote making a difference is just too low.

Perhaps monetized voting systems could be used to make different types
of prediction markets. I know little about the subject, though; it's
just another idea that came to mind, since the players in such a market
would act to try to maximize their profits.