[EM] Electorama wiki requires login to view????

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun Jun 16 22:28:45 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> Regarding spam, here are the settings for the wiki I administer:
> http://zelea.com/w/Wiki:Main_page
>
> http://zelea.com/system/host/obsidian/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mediawiki-c/LocalSettings.php
>
> See "spam protections", particularly the escalating countermeasures
> A.1, A.2, ...  But I've found that A.1 (captcha) is sufficient to stop
> all bot registrations and bot spam, provided the captcha is good:
>
>   ## (A.1) captcha: uncomment ConfirmEdit extension at bottom
>
> The one I use is perhaps the simplest of all:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuestyCaptcha

Yup, this is what I was running for the last couple of years or so.  The
wiki became overrun with user accounts, though.  I could rotate questions,
but I don't feel like being that active in managing this.

What I have done is made it so that anyone should be able to approve
someone who has requested an account.  The link:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts

I may still put QuestyCaptcha back in, but let's try this out for a bit.
 The nice thing about this system is that it creates a web of trust.
 People who have a pattern of letting in spammers can get their accounts
revoked.

Additionally, I've cleaned up all of the inactive accounts except for a
couple that appeared valid (I recognized the name and email address), and
I've also pruned the Recent Changes so that a lot of the bulk operations
are gone.

Let me know if the changes today introduce new problems.

Thanks
Rob