[EM] Median systems, branding, and activism strategy

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Jun 12 14:37:21 PDT 2013

On 6/12/2013 7:55 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>       ... (As far as I know, MJ can only be expressed in one
>       way).  ...

I wrote the following brief description of Majority Judgment.  Is this
correct?  If so, perhaps it's useful?

"Starting with any candidate, count the number of voters who give this
candidate the lowest score.   If the count is more than half the voters,
then the candidate is given this score.   If the count is less than half
the voters, the number of voters who assign the next-higher score is
added, and the process is repeated until the count exceeds half the
voters.   Repeat this process to identify each candidate's 'median'
score.   Whichever candidate has the highest median score is the winner.
   Frequently two or more candidates have the same median score, so the
tie is broken by removing ballots one at a time as needed, where the
removed ballots are the ones that assign the same median score to the
tied candidates."

(I'm aware that the description does not specify which score is used if
the median lands on a transition point.  The purpose of this description
is just to introduce the general concept.)

Richard Fobes