[EM] Summary of psych/market-research studies of rating scales

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Jun 3 22:24:24 PDT 2013

While reading the information about score ballots, I wondered what the
range-voting advocate's response is to the belief that a big preference
gap in one ballot will have more influence than a smaller preference gap
in another ballot.

For example, suppose one voter votes:

A = 1
B = 2
C = 10

and another voter votes:

A = 1
B = 5
C = 10

and, combined with the other ballots, the winner is C.

Now, suppose the first voter changes hisher ballot to:

A = 1
B = 5
C = 10

and now B wins.

This implies that the big gap between B and C in the first ballot has
more influence than the smaller gap between B and C in the second ballot.

How do range voting advocates resolve this apparent unfairness?

I'm asking out of curiosity.

("Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.")

Richard Fobes